Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Lost and Stubbornly Found

A very well known fact is that I am incredibly stubborn. Another very well known fact is that I lose stuff a lot. A less known fact is that I'm actually really good at finding the things I've lost. My stubbornness would be the cause of my finding the things.

In the past three days I have lost three things: my debit card, my keys, and my phone.

My Debit Card
I lost the debit card while visiting my older sister in Fort Collins and as a result had to go downtown to get a replacement. I didn't find the debit card. Mostly because I didn't care that much (it expired in two months so..). I did however have one hell of a time finding the bank.

Unlike every other bank in the area mine had to be located inside a freaking hotel! (The perks of Denver, Ladies and Gentlemen.) I walked around the block like four times looking at the map on my phone trying to figure out where the hell the bleeding thing was. (If you didn't already guess I hadn't been to this particular location before.) Eventually I did find it after about twenty minutes of endless confusion and wandering about looking like a very confused and lost person.

My Keys
I haven't found my keys yet, but I haven't looked and I know they are somewhere in my apartment.

This morning as I was leaving for class, I grabbed my main key set and had it in my hand. By the time I got out the door with my bicycle they were no longer in my hand. I have no memory of putting them down, but obviously I did. (Either that or my arch enemies the gnomes put a vanishing spell on them.) Not having time to worry about it, I just walked back inside and grabbed my spare. I have no idea what the hell happened to them (but it is very likely I will be traveling to someone's front yard and roughing up a garden gnome to find out).

My Phone
Speaking of front yards that's sort of where I found my phone. As I  biked my sorry ass home today, I had to wait at a stop light for like ten minutes because it decided that it no longer liked working and cops were trying to figure out how to direct traffic. I noted that I got a text 'cause I herd and felt it, but didn't check it because I had the very spectacular luck of being able to go at that moment.

I was all in a good mood thinking about how I  was going to flop on my sofa when I got home and was listening to A Bad Night For A Hero (a brilliant local band everyone should check out). Of course this happy moment quickly collided with a brick wall. My phone wasn't in my pocket when I pulled up to my apartment building and the dropping of f-bombs under my breath began.

I took my crap up to my flat and walked back to the light where I got my text looking all the way and asked two cops, an electrician, and two people waiting for the bus if they'd seen it. Their answer "nope, that sucks. I'll keep my eye out." So I then started walking back looking as I went. At one point I heard what sounded like the Pikachu noise which is my email ring tone so I froze and looked around. I then decided it was just the kids across the street and I was crazy.

When I got back to my flat, I grabbed my bike and rode back along that path looking and decided to go back to school thinking that maybe I was crazy and didn't have it at the stop light. Still didn't find it and more muttered f-bombs occurred.

After asking all of the five people who happened to be inhabiting the film school, I remembered Google invented this thing that can tell you where the hell your phone is with an accuracy up to seven yards. Sure enough it was right where I heard the Pikachu noise. I fled the computer lab and biked my ass off to get back to that area and started searching the bushes.

I was about to give up when I heard the low battery noise of my phone. Still couldn't find the damn thing and assumed I had gone crazy and someone was just locking their car.

Just as I was I was walking to knock on a house to ask if they could call it, I saw it sitting on the other side of the fence on someone's front steps. The phone didn't just fall out of my pocket it flew to a new home.

After two hours of searching,, I found it with three percent battery life sitting happily mocking me in it's bright pink case. (Just to be fair, I do wear glasses and it was getting dark, so I do have a properly  paper thin excuse at my disposal.)

Conclusion
So there you have it. I am a very mindless dumbass, but it's okay because I can stubbornly save my dumb ass after such dumbassery.

P.S.
While writing this blog I got up to pee. When I came back I found my missing keys sitting right next to where I was sitting on my sofa. Right on top of my stack of nerd books. (I should maybe get my eyes checked.)

1 comment:

  1. You make me laugh! Keep up the stubbornness so you can find stuff!

    ReplyDelete