Sunday, November 6, 2011

Toys for "Boys"

When I was little, I was a mega tomboy and am still to this day. I played with toy cars more than I played with Barbies (yes I played with Barbies). I watched superhero cartoons like The Justice League or The Fantastic Four. I played with Legos (not the girly sets, I'm talking Alpha Team). Overall I played with "boy's" toys. I had my fair share of dolls and stuffed animals as well, but when asked for new toys, I wanted remote control cars, action figures, swords, light sabers, etc.

I don't really get the difference between "boy" and "girl" toys. Sure pink and dolls are associated with beings a girl, but in kindergarten I had a guy friend who's favorite color was pink, another who played with Barbies, and even one that wanted to be a girl. Don't get me wrong. I'm all for little girls that want to be princesses, but why can't they also want to be knights, or superheroes? Why is a little boy weird because he likes the color pink, but a little girl can like blue without question? Few things drive me crazier than when my cute younger cousins, insist that my blanket with purple and green stripes has to go on top of my Spider-man bedspread because "we're girls."

Why is it a weird concept that a girl can like comic books, video games, and action movies? Why is it even stranger if a boy likes musicals and romantic comedies? Christ people! It doesn't mean anything, just because your little boy likes dolls or your little girl likes action figures!

No comments:

Post a Comment