Friday, January 18, 2013

Why So Serious?

As the title notes, I do not take things seriously. It's, in fact, a difficult task for me. I'm just one of those people who can't help, but see the bright side and humor in just about every situation. As such, when I devote my time to something, I prefer that it also not take itself too seriously.

Or I just blow it up and walk away while laughing maniacally.
The movies and books I enjoy usually have some humor in them. It is really difficult for me to get into something if it doesn't mock itself at least a little. (That doesn't mean it can't happen.)That is why I spent the past two hours in the library.
 
Okay also 'cause I'm a super nerd.
  I was of course looking for something in the dorky/nerdy science-fiction category, but most of the books were too damn serious. It was really difficult to find one that wasn't just some prestigious nerdy guy making a political statement. I unfortunately just barely succeeded in my quest. I found a few fantasy books that were willing to make fun of themselves and inside one of these books there just so happens to be one science fiction story. It only took me two hours of looking through science fiction books to find one short story that had a sense of humor.

There were a total of two Douglas Adams novels both of which I own.
That is darn right depressing. There are multitudes of fantasy, mysteries, and whatever else that aren't all about big serious political statements, but when it comes to science fiction you can hardly escape it. Most science fiction novels out there are overly serious. I understand wanting to make a political statement, but come on, the world is a funny place. I doubt it will be any less so in the future.
Sorry, 1984, but no one actually cares what you're doing or thinking.
Science fiction writers in general just appear to have bugs up their asses. They're always talking about the end of the world, humanity, or freedom. Whether it is via robots, aliens, time travel, nuclear fallout, etc. they all expect the world to be a terrible gloomy place; which it's not.

There are however a few science fiction authors out there who either make a political statement by using humor or really just enjoy being nerdy. To those authors out there, I salute you.

Since my quest for humorous and entertaining science fiction will likely never be at an end I shall begin on my next quest.
Which I think might involve turning tiny children into Ewoks.
As a person who at one point could sing, the Ewok Celebration song from Return of the Jedi off the top of her head, I will leave you with a few of the more humorous nerdy science fiction novels I've enjoyed.
  • Calculating God by Robert J. Sawyer
  • Douglas Adams (Just read something by him.)
  • Dead of Night by Jonathan Maberry
  • Red Dwarf: Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers by Grant Naylor (I suggest watching the show as well 'cause it's awesome!)
I do enjoy more serious science fiction as well, but there is a serious lack of humor in genre. (The novel aspect that is.

2 comments:

  1. I think cuturally everyone is obsessed with dystopian themes and ideas. Everyone thinks they know how the world will end so they all try to tell that story. Thus, I think that is why sci-fi is so dark. Not to mention it can be a deep reflection on what is upsetting and bothering society at the moment. What they fear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, but as it turns out they never find a new thing to fear. The basics of what science fiction authors fear have been the same forever. Personally I think they're all just paranoid.

      Delete