Friday, December 30, 2011

Balls!

"You might learn somethin'," is the most common statement my dad makes. At random points through out a day you'll walk by him and he'll be doing something. Instead of letting you continue on your merry way he says, "Sit down. You might learn something'." If you try and continue on your merry way he gets mad and either pouts or will yell at you. Either way you get stuck listening to a lecture, watching an educational video, or maybe just stuck holding down a calf while he castrates it.

This morning my dad informed me and my younger sister that we had to help castrate our new baby calf. The ultimatum was that we either did that or my parents wouldn't take us to a friends house for a New Year's Eve party. While I don't live in suburbia or even in a town, I don't know for sure, but I highly doubt that not wanting to help castrate and brand a calf is grounds for punishment. So about two this afternoon we went down to the mucky cow pin and got to hold down a calf for about twenty minutes while he squirmed and we got yelled at.

Thanks to my dad, I did learn something. I learned that I will never need to know how to castrate or brand a calf, that doing so makes me feel queasy, and that my dad needs a hobby other than buying farm animals. Thanks to my mom I also learned, "He doesn't look too happy." Mom, I wonder why.

No comments:

Post a Comment