Saturday, February 4, 2012

LEAVE ME ALONE!

Most people have only one mother. I don't get that luxury. Yes I have the typical mother and father set. I'm not talking about how I'm actually related to people. I'm talking about people that mother you. I've got about three mothers (on occasion more). There's my actual mother. Then there's my older sister. And finally there is my younger sister.

It is actually my mothers job to bother me about "being careful" and "doing chores." It's not my sisters' job. things usually go: Oldest sister bosses around younger sisters. Middle sister bosses around youngest sister. Youngest sister sits there and gets mad because they're being bossy.

Somehow in my family the middle child ended being the center of all nit-picking. The nit-picking is at the worst when we're going someplace where we're supposed to dress up. I usually ask my mother what she wants me to wear (rather than having to change). Once, I get dressed that's when it starts. My mom will notice a tiny hole in my pants, so I'll have to change those. Then my older sister will complain about how I'm "such a boy" and she'll try to convince me to dress more feminine. Then once she's done my younger sister will also say something about how I'm dressed. I'm always the first one ready for these things (usually even before my dad is), but instead of getting ready they worry about what I'm doing.

On a daily basis I get bothered about brushing my teeth, brushing my hair (both things I can and do do on my own), my clothes don't match, I look like a boy, do I have a jacket, is it warm enough, if I get stranded and have to walk will I freeze, etc. Somehow at the age of eighteen I get treated like I'm twelve (on a good day). It's insane how incompetent my family thinks I am. My parents and sibling are completely convinced that I won't be able to live on my own. I can't even cook a burger without having a ten minute conversation about how to do so and then repeating the information back to my mother several times.

A couple weeks ago, I decided I was going to make dinner. Afterwards, my mom was absolutely shocked and said, "Now why do you say that you can't cook?" "Mom, I don't say that. You do." The thing that makes me laugh is that while I cook pretty often without burning things (not including myself), I get told that I need to learn how to cook more. My younger sister who has done things such as light the electric stove on fire, doesn't get these comments.

My family, who is horrible about asking for help when they need it, is fantastic at giving me help when I don't need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment