Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Dry Feet

There is a traggic under-appreciation for having dry feet.

This morning, I woke up at seven in order to get up and ready for a film shoot at nine. Of course, due to the fact that Zeus hates me, it was pooring rain. I trecked the fifteen minute walk to campus carrying a god aweful amount of stuff and holding my pink Winnie the Pooh umbrella. I picked up the camera from the cage (the rental room for film equipment). Then carried it a block (with the help of my co-director) to the other part of campus where we met our actors.We then carried it around back to where we were filming. It is not easy to carry an insanely heavy camera, backpack full of books, and an umbrella. (I got my exercise today.)

By the time we started filming, I could already feel water sloshing around in my shoes. We set up the camera and it was lucky enough to have all three umbrellas dedicated to it's protection. The third was eventually dropped due to a lack of hands.

While the camera had a personal umbrella crew composed of my co-director (and on occasion one or two other people), me and two other very dedicated film students stood in the rain. The driest of us four was my expert umbrella stand and co-director. She came prepaired with galloshes and was the luckt umbrella stand.

An hour and a half later, our lead actress had to go take a math test, so we got the last of our shots. Three very wet film students returned to the wonderful indoors. I had never been so glad to drink crappy coffee in my life. We were inside just long enough to get coffee and a sandwich or two before returning to the outdoors and trecking back to the film school.

One of the most terrifying things I've ever experienced, is thinking that the footage we spent an hour and a half standing in the rain to get had been deleted. It wasn't, but for a moment my life flashed before my eyes (maybe it was just my morning).

I was sopping for a fair amount of time and damp all the rest of it. From 8:30am to 5:30pm my feet were either soked or damp. Thanks to one amazingly nice and dedicated film student (and our lead actor), I got a ride home to drop off camera equipment and get dry shoes before my next class. Nothing compares to the feeling of putting on dry socks and shoes after wearing wet one's all day. It is like putting soft warm kittens on your feet. (A little less gorey.)

No comments:

Post a Comment