Thursday, May 24, 2012

The Fantasia Hippos

If you've see Fantasia, you know of the scene with the dancing hippos and alligators. I distinctly remember them being a purple color. A lot of other people do to. Even the costumes that people wear in Disney's own park are purple (actually more pink). I am here to tell you that the the Fantasia Hippos are not actually purple. I know your mind is blown and at this moment you are googling images to check my accuracy.

The reason so many of us remember them being purple is because we grew up watching it on faded VHS's. On these faded tapes the hippos actually are purple. See look:


But, in the original film the hippos weren't actually this color. They were a brown color. See:


It's amazing what an entire generation that grew up watching faded video tapes can do to an idea. Some faded color, and tons of people remember the color brown as purple. Even Disney itself is marketing the hippos as purple or pink.  

Seriously, how many of you people remembered the hippos being purple? I did, but I never once remembered then being as pink as the above picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment