Sunday, May 6, 2012

Prom

Prom, supposedly the greatest night of high school. I have to admit that it was in fact a lot of fun. Not necessarily the best night of high school, but definitely a lot of fun. Figuring out a plan for prom is actually one of the craziest most complicated things I've ever done.

Figuring out a plan is one incredibly complicated pain in the ass, so like anything that is complicated (or really just anything) it had to be done in a crazy round about way.

Step 1: Who You're Going With
I asked my guy friend if he wanted to go as friends. He had already asked another friend of ours and was going with her. No big deal. I then found out that one of my chick friends hadn't convinced her boyfriend to go with her, so we were going to go together. My chick friend then managed to convince her boyfriend to go, so once again I had to figure out a plan. Still wasn't really worried about it.

The previously mentioned guy friend's date canceled on him. he told me that she had canceled on him because she wanted to ask out another chick. The first time something like this happens to your guy friend it's hilarious. The second time it's still pretty funny. By the time you've reached the third chick, it's really sad and you feel bad for the guy. He then asked me if maybe we could go together if this other chick he had asked didn't give him a yes. Next thing I know, he is going with one of my best friends (and no this was not the chick he was waiting on an answer from). I no longer felt so bad that his original date ditched him.I don't really care, but I wasn't going to feel sorry for the guy anymore.

After the whole complicated thing with my guy friend, I thought maybe I might just tag along with my sister and her boyfriend (one of my guy friends) and a couple of friends of mine who were also dating each other. (This was meant as a last resort if I couldn't figure anything else out.) The afternoon of prom, I called up one of my best friends and asked if I could tag along with her group. I got a yes.
  
A Side Note: My Ditched Friend
I do not by any means approve of how my friend handled things. Before I say anything else, I love the kid and he's an awesome friend. I'm not entirely sure of how things happened between him and his original date. She in fact came to prom by herself. As far as I see it, there are four possibilities as to what happened. 1) She ditched my friend for a girl, asked the girl and got a no. 2) She ditched my friends for a girl, but never actually got the guts up to ask her. 3) She used it as an excuse to get out of the previously planned date. 4) She ditched my friend and my friend told everyone it was for a chick.

I'm not trying to insinuate anything on anyone's part. While I love my guy friend, he has a habit of stretching the truth. He has lied many times. Either way, I still don't like the way he handled things. He told everyone what happened. No discretion whatsoever. I know he was pissed off (and had a right to be), but the whole world didn't need to hear about how his former date is bisexual. I'm not saying that you shouldn't tell people if they ask, but you don't have to tell everyone that you see.

I don't really approve of how either of them acted. I will give the chick kudos at least for keeping it her business. I can see both sides of the story. While it's crap to ditch your date, it's also crap to drag everyone you know into the situation.

Step 2: The Clothes
You can't go to prom in jeans and you can't go naked, so the perfect outfit is a necessity. I decided months ago that I was going to wear a tux to prom. I told this to my family and it was met by much resistance. In fact it was the subject of our Thanksgiving dinner conversation. After six months of debate, I convinced my mom to let me do so. I looked darn spiffy, if I do say so myself.

I also wore heels. To anyone who knows me this is quite a feet. In fact, I was the most skilled in heels out of all the chicks I went with. I have discovered that I quite like heels. They really don't complicate my life more than anything else I do.

Step 3: Dinner
It was quite amazing that the one place where my group of eleven people decided to eat dinner was the one insanely busy restaurant in town. It wasn't even because it's where all the prom goers went. It was because a ridiculous amount of people just decided to eat there that day.

Step 4: Photos
The most important part! Any caring parent will tell their kids that if they don't get photos there will be hell to pay. My group went the park and set the camera on a timer. We took a fair amount of photos, many of which are us moving while the camera unexpectedly kept taking pictures.

Step 5: Actual Prom
The highlight of the evening. It is unlike any other school dance a person will go to. It is amazing that at the  people at the dance keep the drama to themselves. Everyone is nice whether they mean it or not. It's absolutely insane. There is something about this dance that makes it so everyone feels the need to keep it nice. No one tries to ruin anyone else's night for fear of ruining their own.

I enjoyed myself. I danced with friends for awhile. I got a drink and sat and talked with friends. Then danced some more. Then commandeered my previously mentioned guy friends date. We went for a walk and sat in the dirt for a bit talking. We then went back and danced some more. They actually started playing some okay music. (It's hard to find good music at any dance sanctioned by our school.) We then ate from the chocolate fountain for a little bit. Then we danced till prom ended.


Step 6: After Prom
The school did have an after prom scheduled, but it was so far out in the middle of nowhere not a lot of people went. Me (now with a different group of friends than those I came with) rode in the limo they had rented. We went back to my friends house. Chatted for awhile, ate food, tried watching Pushing Daisies and crashed.

As with everything, someone has to complain about all the things that weren't fun. (My younger sister ) Even though they were thoroughly enjoying themselves at the dance, they have to sit there and discuss all the ways that it could be made better. Of course you could make it better, but who cares? It was fun enough as is. "They played bad music." Just ignore it and have fun anyways. "The music didn't match the theme." Just ignore it and have fun anyways. "It was too expensive." Then why the hell'd you go anyways? "It just wasn't worth the money." It might have been if you didn't spend the whole time finding things you didn't like about it.


My thought on prom is that it was awesome. I'm super glad I went. I'm not sure I'd want to go again.(Maybe as an excuse to wear my tux again.) I had fun and despite all the crazy that comes with anything I do, it was definitely worth the time and effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment