Monday, June 25, 2012

Mind Reading

There seams to be a weird consensus in my family that I can read minds. I'm not quite sure where this comes from. It's baffling the amount of times I get yelled at for not doing something that no one told me about. When I mention this fact, I either get told, "It should've been obvious." or they told me when I was asleep. Neither of these work.

The should have been obvious completely baffles me. Maybe the fact that the floor needs mopped is  obvious to you, but I don't spend my days staring at the floor. I don't notice that it needs to be clean unless I walk in there and my foot sticks to the floor. Unlike you people, I don't spend my days looking for chores that need to be done. I more or less stumble upon them. When my I break the closet door because my stool breaks and I crash into it, that's when I realize me stool needed fixed. Not when it's wobbling profusely. That's just a minor inconvenience. It's the way my mind works. If a person wants me to do one of these chores that "is obvious" then they might benefit by actually telling me this.

The form of actually telling me to do something by coming into my room when I'm asleep, "waking me up" enough that I respond, then telling me something important, doesn't work. When I'm asleep, I'm asleep. Waking me up so that I respond doesn't actually work. It's a subconscious mechanism that tells you what you want to know, so you will leave me alone.

This morning my dad apparently came and told me that I needed to go do the chores. When I woke up around 2:00 this afternoon, I was surprised that no one was yelling at me to wake up. I didn't think to much of it. I just figured that my dad had decided to do the chores and let me sleep. (It does happen on occasion, believe it or not.) I showered, got dressed, and was about to head downstairs when my dad came plowing into my room.
He yelled, "Why haven't you done the chores yet?"
I responded with, "I just woke up. I figured you already did the chores."
"This is ridiculous! It's two thirty in the afternoon!"
"I figured you'd have woken me up if you wanted me to do the chores."
"I talked to you this morning!"
"Well I didn't hear you!"
That's when went outside to do the chores while me dad angrily dialed the phone. I'm assuming he called my mother because that's what he does when we have issues about the chores.

My dad's not the only one that does this. When I was little, my sisters would use this to their advantage. When they wanted to borrow something of mine, I'd make them ask. In the mornings, before I got out of bed, they'd ask me to borrow something and I being asleep would say yes. Then later, when I actually woke up, I would get pissed off because they were using my stuff.

You'd think that after eighteen years of living with me, they'd figure out that I can't read minds. I can't tell what you're saying to me when I'm asleep, and I don't find the same things obvious. It doesn't work, so let try something new. When you have something you want me to do, tell me and do so. Preferably, when I'm actually awake.

No comments:

Post a Comment