Friday, April 26, 2013

Door to Door

Living in an apartment is drastically different from the house in the middle of nowhere I used to live. When I moved out, I actually had some idea that this would be the case and even adapted to it quite nicely. There are some things I've experienced, however, that wouldn't have even crossed my mind as something that could happen before it did.

My first couple days into the apartment living experience, I was awoken at 4:00 am by mariachi music. This, while annoying, wasn't really something surprising. A month after moving in, it rained in my bathroom (the day before my birthday no less). Again annoying, but not really something I hadn't heard of happening. (It raining while I was watching Singing In The Rain, however...)

A couple months in and the Jehovah's Witnesses had figured out at what times I would answer. There were ones who even managed to find the house in the middle of nowhere, so to be honest I was actually surprised at how long it took them.

A few months ago, I started running into a guy at the Chinese place who was always trying to sell me pirated DVDs. Again still nothing surprising. Then about two months ago a chick and some guy would come by knocking on the door asking if I'd buy movies. None of these events really surprised me. They may have annoyed me (or in the case of the third bathroom rainstorm made me ask "seriously?"), but none of it was something I wouldn't have thought of. Well that is until yesterday.

Yesterday, I was chilling and pretending that at some point I might actually do my homework when there was a knock on the door. I expected either someone with pirated DVDs or a Jehovah's Witness. What happened instead was so endlessly random, I had to double check that it wasn't just some weird dream. The two people who normally try to sell DVDs, had a giant basket full of donuts they were trying to sell. Seriously, donuts. Of all the things people have asked me to buy (one being a vacuum cleaner), the door to door donuts salesmen were by far the strangest.

No comments:

Post a Comment