Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Proud To Be a Darn Optimist

I am an incurable optimism. I can't help, but look on the bright side, even when I don't want to. I have on occasion annoyed myself with my optimism. That being said, it amazes me how many friends and relatives I have that are complete and utter pessimists. Contrary to what they say they are not realists.

When you assume that the party is going to suck you are not being realistic. Same goes for anything else. The world isn't as bad of a place as you "realists" like to think. Good things do happen, and far more often then you like to think.

I consider myself to be incredibly lucky. My friends on the other hand don't see it. I consider it lucky that I wasn't overly injured when I rolled my car. They consider it bad luck that the accident happened at all. The way you look at things seriously impacts how awesome the world is. The episode of The Brady Bunch (yes I do know what it is and at one point watched it often) where they find the unlucky tiki doll thing. The middle boy said that it was lucky that the oldest boy didn't drown when he wiped out on his surf board. If you think that you are lucky you are (even if you are carrying a cursed tiki necklace doll thing).

On days when I should be having a horrible day by other peoples standards, I'm in a good mood. It's incredibly hard to get me in a bad mood. That does not however mean that it's impossible. If you actually manage to piss me off, you better run as fast as your obnoxious little legs will take you.

A note of irony: Apparently when I am on my own and just walking around, I look like I'm going to beat the crap out of someone if they come close to me. I have several friends who can confirm this.

My dad often calls me a darn optimist. Usually when, it comes to doing something different from how he'd do it. "Why do you have to be so darn optimistic about it?!" I'm not entirely sure he knows what the word means because last time he said that to me, I was refusing to work the gear shift while he drove. I told him I wanted to learn how to work the clutch and stick shift at the same time and with the proper hands. That's when he yelled the above statement at me. I'm thinking he might believe that it means stubborn.

No comments:

Post a Comment