Monday, April 16, 2012

Saturday Night Adventure

On Saturday, me, my younger sister, and our friend, planned to go see a movie. We went to the theater and went up to buy the tickets, but couldn't get in because my sister forgot her ID and my friend didn't even have one. The lady at the ticket booth told us that if we didn't have IDs we'd need to bring a school ID and a birth certificate. To me, that sounds just a bit crazy. Seriously, who cares enough to do that.

Well, needless to say, we didn't end up going to go see the movie. We left the theater and began discussing plans for going to see the movie. Quite a few ideas were thrown out. Buy a ticket for a movie we could go to without IDs and sneak into the theater playing the movie we wanted to see? Try a different theater that might have lower security? We went with the second plan.

While driving toward another theater, we discussed other things we could go do. Laser tag? "I always suck at that, plus I'm wearing white." "My hair glows in the black light." Then out of the mouth of my friends mother burst, "Roller Skating." As soon as it was said, it was official. That's what we were going to do. Screw the movie.

We then spent about half an hour driving around looking for a roller rink. We stopped twice and eventually found our way to one. Once again another problem occurred. My friend wasn't wearing socks. It took all of ten seconds for us to find a couple of mismatched socks floating around the interior of their car. Now to rent skates. Of course they don't have them in women's sizes so you have to convert your shoes size and hope that it works. Also they don't have half sizes so if your in between like that you get stuck with too big or too small skates.

Alright, Now we're all ready to skate. It's definitely not as easy as I remembered from the numerous times my Girl Scout troop went skating. We slowly scrambled around the rink a couple times. After about five minutes of attempting to skate, a guy came over and offered my friend help. The best skater at the rink tried to help my friend and in no way shape or form did it help. While that was going on, a guy named Donovan asked me if I want some advise. "Keep your knees bent and lean forward." It was amazing how much easier it became. (Even though, I still pretty much sucked.) He forgot the most important key to skating. "Don't think about it." As soon as you do, you are likely to biff it.

My friend's mom, was insanely good at it. (I suppose that that's what happens when you hang out with someone who grew up in the '80s.) Not counting her, I was the quickest to pick up on it, but after being there for an hour or so, my younger sister became freakishly good at it. My friend on the other hand, didn't even start to do good until about an hour in when she switched to roller blades.

Of the three hours we were there, I spent a good deal of it talking to Donovan. While an incredibly nice guy he was very pompous. Despite a couple conversations about bright colors and music he spent the entire time telling me random things about himself. Especially repeating the "fact" that he had an IQ of 150. But, once again, despite the pompous attitude, he was a nice guy. Everyone at the rink was super nice. Later it was determined, that it was because everyone who goes roller skating is a dork.

It was decided, that the most challenging thing about roller skating was using the restroom. You didn't take of you skates to do so and the stalls didn't lock. (When you're a noob at skating, it is incredibly hard to stay in one place long enough to pull up your pants.) Another challenge is dodging and stopping. I had a kid cut right in front of me and I didn't have enough room to swerve or enough time to stop. As a result, I plowed him right over. Yet, he still asked me if I was okay.

There was a little girl that got hurt while skating, so my friend who is just as clumsy (if not more so) as I am, decided to help her back to the rink's exit. When I passed them, she told me this. It wasn't 'till I was on the other side of the rink, that I realized it probably wasn't a good idea to leave an injured girl to the help of a clumsy person on wheels. (Not that I would've been much more help.)

Three hours of skating, falling, and injury later, we determined that it was a good idea to leave. We returned our skates and walked back to the car with a minor knowledge of how injured we actually were. It wasn't until we got to my friends house and exited the car that we realized how incredibly sore we were. I discover a bruise on my hip, two more scrapes than I previously discovered (bringing the total to four), a lump on my head (seriously my head's two steps away from a pachycephalosaurus'), and sore muscles everywhere. I expected that I'd have sore leg muscles and butt muscles, but I didn't expect that my back muscles, ab muscles, arm muscles, shoulder muscles, and neck muscle would hurt as well. Seriously, nearly every muscle in my body is sore and stiff.

While the most brilliant spur of the moment idea we've ever had, it is also the worst idea. It was determined while we were eating dinner, that while the most masochistic thing we've ever done, we definitely needed to do it again. Though next time we will bring elbow pads, knee pads, wrist guards, and a pillow to tie to our asses (possibly a helmet for me).

No comments:

Post a Comment