Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Hearing Aid...Pleeeeaaaaassse!

Today during drama class I stumbled upon a brilliant idea of how to work on projection. It was a surprisingly simple solution. All I have to do is pretend that the person I'm talking to onstage is my dad.

My father, after years of gun fire without ear protection is in serious need of a hearing aid. That being said, on Easter he went target shooting with a friend of his. Now after their ears are already damaged they decided to wear earmuffs to protect them. (That's great planning if I ever saw it)

My dad's inability to hear can range from horribly amusing to horribly annoying.

It's amusing at times when my dad can't figure out someone's name.
"What's his name?"
"Leland."
"Hey Eland"
"It's Leland."
"Ian?"
"Leland."
"Oh, Leland."
The above conversation was had at least once a day on a week and a half trip to Wyoming with a couple friends of mine.

It's annoying when you move your mouth and he just assumes you said something mean. I get yelled at a lot for being rude when all I do is move my mouth a bit.

Another time it's annoying is when you say something that wasn't important or even interesting, but you have to repeat it several times before he hears it.

The most ridiculous one of all is when he hears someone say something and assumes they were cussing.
Me and my younger sister were chilling in the living room watching TV. A commercial comes on for a hamburger. We sit there for a moment making fun of it and end up saying "hamburger" a ridiculous amount of times.
My dad storms in the room and yells, "Watch your language!!"
The only response to that was, "What?!"
My dad then left while muttering, "never mind."

Now for the number one reason my dad needs a hearing aid. He can't hear when the phone rings. It's too high pitched for his ears to pick up on. When he and my grandma are the only ones home you can call an incredible amount of times in a row and always get the answering machine. (My record is 20 times. I gave up after that.)

No comments:

Post a Comment